Gaels battle to OT, but fall to Halton

The Green Gaels and Halton Hills Bulldogs split their regular season series in a back-and-forth OT game at Garnet B. Rickard Arena. After a 15-10 Gaels victory on Saturday night in Halton, the Gaels tried to sweep the Bulldogs at home but came up just short.

The Bulldogs would get off to a hot start with 2 goals to open up this game from Tyrell Luscombe and Matthew Ford. The Gaels answered back, tying things up at 2-2 as Cole Tucker and Ty Taylor found the back of the net. Carter Mackay and Colton McNutt would each put one more in for their respective squads before the end of the first to finish the first frame tied at 3 a piece.

Halton would initiate a scrum after time ran out in the first period. All gloves and helmets stayed on for both sides as the officials were able to keep it under control but would send John McKinney to the box for roughing to start the second with a Halton man advantage.

Halton would waste no time to get the scoring started in this period with another goal from Tyrell Luscombe. Ty Taylor of the Gaels and Carter Mackay of Halton went back and forth, scoring their teams’ next 2 goals, bringing this to a 6-5 game midway through the second.

Colton McNutt would score 2 goals in the last half of this second period, with goals also coming from Halton’s William Simmons and Ty Jesso in between to make it an 8-7 Halton lead heading into the third period.

The third period would be nothing short of a great defensive unit and goaltending battle. Both sides refused to give the other many opportunities to score. The Gaels came up big just when they needed to, and Carsyn Kent scored the 8th Gaels goal to tie things up. Colton McNutt would score his 4th of the night to give the Gaels the late lead.

Just when it seems like the Gaels are going to be able to pull away with the win and the 4 points in this weekend series, Halton ties it up with a goal from Noah Kearney. This Sunday afternoon barn burner was headed to overtime at 9-9.

Unfortunately for the Gaels and their hometown crowd, Mathew Ford scored the game-winning goal for Halton with 5:33 left in overtime. The Gaels, unable to answer back, lost in heartbreaking fashion after putting in a very good effort in the home-and-home the series.

Even with the loss on Sunday, the Green Gaels are still sitting nicely at the top of the Mid-East Division by a 6-point lead. Coming up next for the boys in green is another tough matchup, as they will host another historic rival in the Orangeville Northmen on Thursday night at home and then travel to Orangville on Saturday for the return matchup.

Gametime on Thursday is 8:00 pm at Garnet B. Rickard Arena. This is definitely going to be a game you won’t want to miss, as two of the top teams in Jr B. Lacrosse go head to head.